Monday, February 20, 2012

On Review Ratings, Etc

I'm working on a standardized method of ratings for reviews on this blog.  I had originally wanted to use a percentile based rating, figuring that would make them pretty comparable to reviews and scores listed on sites like Metacritic.  Of course, the problem there was that it becomes difficult to define what scores can mean when you have such a large rating scale.  Really, what makes an 89% better than, say, an 88%?  Is a 43% really that much better than, say, a 37%? 

I decided then, for the best, to implement a scale of 1 to 10, with half points allowed.  It's a little easier to define the difference between a 9/10 and an 8.5/10 while still having enough range to come close to pinpointing where it should be in the scale (a big problem I have with Rolling Stone's 5-star system, where a hard-to-get 4-star rating is still only the equivalent of an 80% on Metacritic). 

Anyways, I'm just throwing this out there in case anyone should ever find themselves curious as to how I'm rating albums in a review.

No comments:

Post a Comment