Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Beck Week, Day 2

Let's talk about Mutations.


Following the success of Odelay, it was really hard to say what would come next.  After all, Beck followed his debut, Mellow Gold, with two very different sounding indie-label releases (the lo-fi Stereopathic Soul Manure and the folky One Foot in the Grave).  When word spread that Beck had similar intentions of following up Odelay with another indie-label stop-gap album, Beck fans were left wondering what the result would be.

The truth of what really happened might forever be left in some unopened filing cabinet at whatever has become of Geffen's offices, as word was that DGC, Beck's label, wasn't going to allow him to make a record for any other label that wasn't theirs.  While that matter did eventually get resolved (with the new album getting joint release from Bong-Load and DGC), there is speculation as to whether or not this was actually an issue in the first place.  The speculation arising from the fact that Beck had chosen to work with Nigel Godrich as the producer for the album; Nigel being a rising production star after helming Radiohead's OK Computer.  Godrich would've been an odd choice for an album being released on an obscure indie label, but really, we're getting far away from the point here.

The album that followed Odelay was Mutations, a strange blend of psychadelica, Americana folk and blues.  Also, it happens to be my second favorite Beck album, and one of my favorite albums period.  And, really, probably the most underrated Beck album, period. 

While I don't think there's a bad song on the album, the first three tracks are just an unbelievable 1-2-3 punch, and one of my favorite openings to any album I've ever heard.  "Cold Brains," the opener, spells out the concept of the album pretty well:  a psychedelic folk, some weird electronic effects and Beck's deadpan and seemingly nonsensical lyrics.  The combination works and it works well.  The second track, "Nobody's Fault But My Own" veers further into the folk direction with honest-to-goodness relatable lyrics and a heartbroken theme.  Then comes my personal favorite of the album, "Lazy Flies," which takes the concepts started on "Cold Brains" and amplifies them.  The result is a lush soundscape with dark themes and amazing imagination.

There were no official singles or videos for this album when it was first released.  The closest this album got to exposure was some limited radio play for "Nobody's Fault But My Own," likely because it was the closest that Beck had come at that point to an understandable song for the masses, and "Tropicalia," a Brazilian influenced piece that would've been an obvious choice for an actual single, as it was the only real song on the album with any amount of pop energy.

The latter half of the album, especially, takes a turn for the folk and blues. "Bottle of Blues," "O Maria" and "Dead Melodies" are all contribute to a darker and more dreary second half that further the theme of Mutations.

Mutations also resonates with me more than other albums because of the memories that I associate with it.  I remember when I first got the album, somewhere in the latter half of the 90s and pouring over the album, trying to memorize the lyrics and make sense of it all.  This album was also my go-to depression album in adulthood.  Situations of drama and heartbreak could and would be drowned out by the constant playing and re-playing of this album.  For me, I can listen to this album while in a good mood and enjoy it for the brilliant art that it is; I can listen to it in a moment of depression and immerse myself in the sometimes dark and somber themes of the album.

It always seemed telling to me that when Sea Change came out, Beck's most down to earth, listener-friendly break-up album, that I still preferred Mutations.  Where as Sea Change was obvious and to the point in the emotions it portrayed, Mutations was as mysterious and, often, as dark as actual sadness could be.  As a whole, the album transcends being just good music, it's art that I'll forever have at my side for when the dark clouds come rolling in.  I don't know if there's much more I can ask of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment